CO.STARTERS at The Nice Center is a nine-week business development program that helps aspiring entrepreneurs put ideas into action, and turn a passion into a sustainable and thriving small business.
Participants will be accepted on a rolling application basis for our upcoming cohorts.
2020 Fargo Course Schedule
Applications Closed: Winter Course: Every Tuesday, January 14th – March 10th, 6-9pm Applications Open: Spring Course: Every Tuesday, March 24th – May 19th, 6-9pm
- Applications Open: Summer Course: Every Tuesday, May 26th – July 21th, 6-9pm
All courses take place at the Prairie Den at 122 1/2 Broadway, Fargo
CO.STARTERS at The Nice Center lasts nine weeks, meeting one evening a week for three hours. Facilitators include educators and active entrepreneurs, and guest speakers include specialists and professionals from Fargo’s leading marketing, branding, legal and finance firms and agencies, as well as local entrepreneurs.
The total course fee for our CO.STARTERS General Session is $200, which includes:
- course materials
- professional course facilitator with office hours to address your business development needs
- access to a list of members of the business community who are ready to meet with students
- small business resources
- discounted membership at the Prairie Den Coworking during the course
A limited number of scholarships, particularly for students, may be available for each cohort dependent on need.
During CO.STARTERS at The Nice Center, you’ll develop and fine-tune your business idea, building models based on your assumptions, tweaking your next steps through real-time customer feedback, learning valuable management and marketing skills and receiving constructive feedback from advisers, peers and local businesses. By honing your business and updating your approach based on real feedback and customer demand, you’ll gain the skills you need to develop a viable business model.
- Week 1: Knowing Yourself (Assumptions, Working Styles, Team Building, Obstacles)
- Week 2: Knowing Your Customer (Problem, Solution, Benefit, Competition, Advantage, Customer)
- Week 3: Getting the Relationship Right (Marketing & Message; Getting, Keeping & Growing Customers)
- Week 4: Building the Model to Scale (Starting Small, Distribution, Revenue, Typical Sale, Price)
- Week 5: Strengthening Your Structure (Business Structures, Licenses, IP, Hiring)
- Week 6: Discovering the Bottom Line (Startup & Ongoing Needs, Fixed & Variable Costs, Break-Event Point)
- Week 7: Accounting for Growth (Break-Even Point, Sales Projections, Cash Flow, Accounting)
- Week 8: Planning for the Future (Raising Capital, Growth Plans, Goal Setting, Pitch Prep)
- Week 9: Sharing your Story
Why CO.STARTERS at The Nice Center?
OUR PAST FACILITATORS
Our facilitators love entrepreneurship and have a heart to support others. We are grateful for the facilitators leading our first cohort.
Elizabeth currently works as an education professional, project manager, and consultant. In 5th grade, her science teacher shared this quote from the famous physicist and chemist Marie Curie: “Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood.” Since then, Elizabeth’s passion for learning, and helping others to learn, stems from this quote. Her commitment to helping others thrive is evidenced by her commuting to Fargo from Wahpeton each week to lead CO.STARTERS. Elizabeth is driven by the belief that developing your community is just as important as developing your career.
Ole (pronounced “ooh-lah”) brings 20 years of experience as an organization development professional, mediator, facilitator and executive coach for leaders and organizations in the US and Europe.
Ole has a broad background from telecom, banking/wealth management, healthcare, wholesale, manufacturing, distribution and more. Throughout his career his focus has been on developing effective leaders, cohesive teams and healthy organizational cultures.