Nice Leap will challenge you to think of college as more than just a “next step” in your life, but rather a time when you can make a real impact on the world. Let’s take a leap together. Watch a video of our current cohort.
- Nice Leap Storytelling Night: Monday, November 16, 6-8pm
- Storytelling Workshop: Monday, October 26, 6-8pm (virtual)
- Prototyping Workshop: Monday, September 21 & October 3 (virtual)
- User Research Workshop: Friday, September 4, 10am-noon (Watch the Replay)
- Virtual Nice Leap Launch: Saturday, August 29th, 10am-noon (Watch the Replay)
- User Research Workshop: Monday, August 24th, 6-8pm (virtual)
- Nice Leap Launch Workshop: August 21st @ Renaissance Hall
What if starting college wasn’t just a “next step” in your life, but a leap toward something great. Here at The Nice Center at NDSU, we believe it can be. Through our 10-week Nice Leap program we’ll help you:
- Declare your mission (not just a major) — You will clarify what you need to know to achieve the goals that are most important to you, not only for your college years, but for the life you want to create for yourself.
- Learn through action — You will identify problems in the community and our world that stir you to action. Alongside fellow students and supported by community leaders, you will create solutions for these problems. You won’t do homework, you will take on real projects that make a real impact in our world.
- Create community — You’ll connect with mentors and build a community of support that will challenge your ideas and, ultimately, strengthen your project.
If this sounds like the kind of learning you’d like to experience, then the Nice Leap is available to you.
How It Works
The program begins with an in-person design thinking workshop (we’ll revert to a virtual format if COVID-related restraints arise), where you formulate your leap — a “leap” is a specific, time-bound project designed to help you leave your comfort zone and learn something new. Then we match you with a project to help you take your leap. Finally, you share what you’ve learned with the community.
At the end of 10 weeks, you will have a new skill, a new network, and a new direction for your personal mission. You will also receive two credits at NDSU as a UNIV 496 course.
Alternately, if you are only able to participate at the design-thinking workshop, then we still welcome you to join us. There is no requirement for you to continue on with the 10-week program if you are unable. However, if you wish to receive credits at NDSU, then you will need to complete the entire program.